CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Poor R.

So R has officially had her first dose of antibiotics.

Poor kid. She has had a cold for about a week and a half, both of them actually. Really snotty, coughs, major yucky. With the holidays and all of the excitement she's just sort of flown under the radar. Until last night that is.

She'd been taking cough and cold meds, ,but she woke up last night around 10:15 (conveniently 15 minutes after urgent care closed) screaming, crying, and pulling her ear. I immediately knew what was wrong. So the FI Suit had just come home, and off R and I went to the emergency room. Fun times.

Arrived at the ER at 10:30, checked in, waited to be seen in triage. Got seen in triage at 11:30, put into a room in the ER and waited.....and waited......and waited. I was getting so pissed. No one looked in the poor kids ear, and she's crying and crying and crying. I KNOW THEY CAN HEAR HER! Nothing. I keep asking when anyone will see her, they are vague. Finally at 12:30 I said, "You know what we're leaving this is ridiculous, she just needs antibiotics". The woman at the desk says, "Oh wait let me get your nurse (who we have yet to see). She comes in says, "Let me check with the doctor, and see if he'll move you up.". Comes back. No he's not moving us up. There were 5 people ahead of us, and she really suggests that we wait. I said, "Uh yeah that could be another 2 hours." Bitch says, "Or 3". Nice, huh?

Really caring for the little 4 year old crying in the ER , really compassionate. So I was absolutely fuming. I did what I should have done all along. Called my sister at 12:30 PM, woke her up, and made the 45 minute trip to get seen by a doctor. So Jenn was really sweet, came out to the car, brought her otoscope out looked in her ear, and said "Yep, Mommy was right you have an ear infection". Then she handed us a bag of antibiotic samples and off we went.

So the moral of the story, at 10:30 I should have called Dr. Jenn, driven 45 minutes, picked up the antibiotics, and been home by 12:00. What time did we get home? 2:00 AM.

Always call your sister the Doctor before trying to not to be a mooch and go it alone, that's the moral folks.

We've managed to escape any prescription meds for the kids for almost 5 years, that's pretty good, why do I think the prescription medication floodgates have just been opened and we're about to start drowning?

I'll give a Christmas/Party synopsis later.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Sorry about the poor little one's EI!! Those are NO fun :(

I still crack up whenever you say "FI Suit" ;)

Happy New Year

Michelle said...

Poor Sweetheart! I hope that she is feeling better today. Ear infections suck!

{{{HUGS}}}

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry she was in such pain. In both places we've lived close to hospitals that have a Ped. emergency room as well as a regular one. I think ALL hospitals should have one.

I hope she is feeling better!